Tuesday, July 12, 2011

New Santigold

"People want my power and they want my station"

Go-Santigold ft. Karen O



Words couldn't even describe how excited I was to discover that Santigold was putting out new music later this year.

Her eponymous solo debut that dropped 3 summers ago was like audible magical gold. It really shook me because it combined dancehall and 80s new wave with a splendidly well-executed experimental power and at the same time acknowledging her punk past. Such songs like "Unstoppable" placed this LP in constant rotation for a good 18 months for me-




"Go" seems to accomplish the impossible feat of topping this previous LP with a more electric, melodic, polished and afro-punk feeling and it is very exciting that at least this first glimpse suggests that there is no sophomore slump for this amazing (L.E.S.) artiste(s).

I am also GEEKED that one of my other female vocalists, Karen O., is featured. Doesn't her voice in the bridge sound absolutely electric?
I have feeling that her piece was inspired by such songs like "Dragon Queen", which like most of her oeuvre with Yeah Yeah Yeahs (especially in "It's Blitz") sounds like a powerful current channeled from an iridescent vocal diamond.

No comments:

Post a Comment