Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Black Seeds-Sometimes Enough

The Black Seeds are a reggae band from New Zealand. I discovered them about 6 years or so ago by chance when I turned to the "World" music show on a local college station. Since then I never have heard anything from them, or even have met anyone who knows of them really, even though they're one of the biggest acts in NZ. Thus, I want to share the cult love of this group. They're absolutely amazing and their sound is so refreshing and chill to hear.

Before I let y'all click, I think its important to understand how difficult how hard it was to pick one Black Seeds song for y'all to sample. All their beats are good stuff. And though they expand beyond the reggae roots repetoire, they follow in the tradition's deep and inspirational lyricism. I absolutely love their Keep on Pushing and Into the Dojo efforts (the latter of which this song is off of). But the Keep on Pushing LP was so popular that it spawned a "Pushed" remix album, where there are remixes of the songs on the Keep on Pushing album. I encourage you to listen to that if you can find it. If not you're more then welcome to ask me about it. But below is the single to the Into the Dojo album. I know you'll love it.

-Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment